Okay, so I am not doing so great at posting this year. Rapid change, uncertainty, and added stressors can trigger my PTSD. “Get your own rock to hide under!” Hey, I am working on it.
And so . . .
Chyanne surprised me in March. She and I had seen people who had “celebrated” their T1D diagnosis anniversary with a party. She decided that she wanted to plan a family diagnosis party. (Both Chy and Tristan remember their diagnosis dates, vividly.) Chy planned diabetes-themed games, favorite foods, and family activities for the evening. Most of the games ended with water balloon fights, outside and inside! Her daddy even baked her a cake!
Anniversary of Diabetes Diagnosis
Easter and spring break came and went way too fast! We didn’t get around to dyeing eggs until the day before Easter. I know we were busy, but I can’t remember doing anything! On Sunday, we did go to the river to play Disc Golf, sort of. Well, our version of it. We only have one set of actual discs and several dollar Frisbees. We didn’t know what we were doing, but it was fun to get out as a family.
Syd had her spring drama performance at school. Older drama students picked the plays, casted, and directed their chosen piece. Six plays or student-edited versions were presented. Tim and I arrived a little late, in the middle of Steel Magnolias. Really?! Serious. Syd portrayed Janet in Linda Her. Syd’s costume was her jammies! Tim and I were impressed with Syd and her classmates. The evening was quite entertaining.
Tristan is running track this spring at Sandcreek Middle School. At his first meet he ran an individual 400 and two relays. He took second in his race! He was stretching out and was beat by just a few tenths of second! Awesome job!
In the advanced history class, students participate in a national history project. This year’s theme was “Turning Points in History.” Tristan chose to write a paper on Sputnik. It was a stressful learning process. This year’s teacher had never participated in the project or had taught advanced students. Needless to say, he was pretty much on his own at school with research, documentation, writing, and editing. The learning curve was steep. But Tristan worked his way through it, and Tim and I grew a few grey hairs. Newsflash--Teenage boys seem to think parents know nothing! However, his paper took second in his flight at regionals, which meant his paper qualified for the state competition. His teacher didn’t register him properly i.e. spell his name right (yeh, TJ has only been in his class all year!). So Tim called the state coordinator who seemed to know about this teacher, and she allowed us to overnight his paper to them. As it turned out, the girls had 2 soccer games each the same Saturday. Since Tim went to St. George, I got to go to Boise with Tristan. He didn’t place at the state level, but we had a great time—shopping, playing at the Idaho History Museum, eating at the Melting Pot, and snacking at Starbucks! Tim hung out with Chy and Syd, froze at soccer games, and ate at Olive Garden. Even with the long drive, I sooo won!!
Tim and Chy at Idaho Falls Olive Garden
Recently, I was Facebook messaged by a young gentleman who wanted to meet us and come by the house. He designed a ruse for Syd to be gone and came by to set this display up in our living room. We suggested that he might not want to “navigate” her room. Hmmm?
Saturday, I did get the short straw. Since I missed both Chy’s games last Saturday, Tim volunteered me, and I drove her to her Pocatello and Blackfoot games. Do you know that when rain blows hard enough that it feels like ice? And our camp chairs are no longer waterproof? I was “fortunate” enough to discover the answer to both of these questions. The winds were sustained 25 mph, maximum speeds of 45 mph, and gusts op to 56 mph. Hello, they are 13-year-olds!!! And 40+ year-olds whining on the sidelines.
Tristan volunteered as a student helper for Saturday School with Jr. National Honor Society, and Syd had her first ACT. Syd now is planning her clever reply to the big “question.” Little sister’s creative suggestion inspired her. Her answer . . . You’ll have to wait and see.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think about my crazy, chaotic life.