Teton Tinkerin'

Teton Tinkerin'

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Back Home

1.  Home, exhausted

Of course, no time to stop in order to catch our breath.  Tim had to go into work today.  Laundry, yard work, grocery shopping, bills, and pet care took up our first day back.  Ahhh, at least we have the memories! Haha!

2.  Quite a few “hiccups”

Well, the trip through the airport security at SLC went smoothly.  I was a little concerned about the needles, pumps, extra insulin vials, and extra syringes.  The return trip was a little more exciting.  Because I am a little OCD, I am going to keep you in suspense as I whine in chronological order.

Friday was a great day at California Adventure.  No major issues other than very sore feet and annoyance at humanity.   I am so not a people person, but I think Tim has become even more of a curmudgeon.  Chy says its just because he is old, “No offense, Dad!.

Saturday, Surf City was not kind to the Idaho white, Caucasian skin of my daughters, even with sunscreen.  Syd and Chy got severe burns.  Sydney was . . . well . . . red as cooked lobster.  We spent the early evening searching the CVS pharmacy for “sun burn relief” products.  I spent the evening putting wet, cold towels on her back, then front.  Pain relief spray, more towels.  It hurt to look at her.  Chy fared a little better; it was her back that got the worst.  Can we say parenting  EPIC FAIL. Guilt, guilt, guilt!  By the following Thursday, you could touch Syd’s back and arm without her flinching. But they both soldiered on with having fun while throbbing and peeling.

But that’s not all, no, no, no!  As we are searching for the Walgreens/CVS, Syd gets a call from our cat sitter.  Poor M. locked herself out with the water running in the sink.  Don’t know exactly what happened, but it was exciting.  Various texts, calls to locksmiths, and subsequent break-ins solved the problem.  FYI, some locksmiths will not open your house for you when you are on vacation.  FYI, 15-year-old girls are resourceful at breaking in to empty houses.  

Did I mention that my glasses broke right then too?  We bought superglue and eyeglass screws at CVS.  Superglue fixes everything, except sunburns and cats in distress.   I will just let you imagine how Tim handle this chaos.  I am not sure I can adequately describe it; your imagination might not be far from reality.  So ends Saturday.

Sunday, a very sore Sydney “enjoyed” a walk through the aquarium and tidal pools.  She hurt to walk, sit, or just move.  I made her drink gallons of fluids. 

Somewhere in there, I discovered my poor NOOK screen had died since the airplane ride.  Aggg.  Really?  (On a positive note, I called today, and I actually purchased an extended warranty that expires July 17th!  They may be replacing it free!  Yes!)  However, a vacation without my books is a little disappointing.  I soldiered on, haha.

Thursday night, Tim got a call from Idaho Falls.  A transformer caught on fire next to his lab.  Security called to let him know that power would be out at least until morning.  (Today, Sunday, all his internet service and networks were still down.) All of his tests were stopped and equipment went into reset.  Just what he needed, a little more stress. 

I’m glad we brought extra meters, extra batteries, extra insulin pens and needles.  Tristan’s pump had an infusion set malfunction, resulting in high BG numbers.  Chy’s meter died, yet to be resurrected.  Accurately guess carbs and insulin was really hit or miss.  No panicked lows, but several highs. 

Tim’s knees lasted with Aleve-managed pain until about Wednesday.  But he was done by Thursday.  He is seriously looking at surgery in the future.  Nothing seemed to help by the end of vacation.

Finally, security on our way home was a wee bit more challenging.  TSA assured me it was “okay” for the pumps in the scanners.  Um, no.  Medtronics specifically told me—metal detectors were okay, but not the full-body scanners.  “Well, ma’am, you can request that we pat them down, if you want to be safe.”   Okay, then.  But now we need a female supervisor.  UGH!    Meanwhile, Syd sets off metal detector.  “Ma’am, you need to be present when we pat down her left side.”  Okay, then.  Supervisor arrives.  Chy is too young, says TSA supervisor.  But, like I told them, it is okay if she  and Tristan go through metal detector, not scanner.  Tristan and Chy go through and, then, get electronically sniffed.  Bags go through, except Chy’s 4.2 oz. juice. A different TSA agent tells Tim to back off and not touch the container.  “Does she need this?”  Really!!!  I hope she doesn’t but . . . its 15g of instant sugar if she goes hypoglycemic.  Anyway, she needs to get patted down. Ooops, she too young.  TSA confusion!  Well, somebody needs to get patted down.  So the TSA agent decided I get to be patted down for the juice box in my daughter’s backpack.  “Sorry, ma’am.  Thank you for being patient.”  Um, deep breath.  So I get patted down and sniffed.  The best part is that Tristan’s bag had a juice box too.  He just went in a different TSA agent’s conveyor who didn’t notice or care.  Your country is safe from the explosive juice box of a 12-year-old Type 1 diabetic girl, but not the one in the 13-year-old Type diabetic boy!

The plane did arrive 15 minutes a head of schedule!  Home sweet home!

3.  Literally, a 1000+ pictures.

I love my family, so I evidently chronicle every breathe!!  I did whittle it down tom 958 keepers.  Needless to say they will not all be uploaded.  I did download them to desktop, so the kids do have access to all of them.  I did tell them they should use common sense in uploading, but they are teenagers.  So . . .oxymoron? 

Tempting teasers for those who would like to request more files or a personal dvd.  I think I have the essence down to 650+ mb; I may be adding a few more beach pics. 

Dug (from UP) and the Soldiersfamilydoug

Russell (from UP) and Familyrussellfamily

Siblings (Corona Del Mar)sydtjaww

Chy (Corona Del Mar)chycorona

4.  Let’s do it again!

Weight gain (ugh), debt (years), and stress!  Worth every minute spent with Tim and kids!  In spite of it all or maybe because of it all, we had a blast!  I love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about my crazy, chaotic life.