Teton Tinkerin'

Teton Tinkerin'

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Switched at Birth??

Just when I think I have a grasp . . .

This week proves me wrong.  All the usual stuff (soccer, football, school, practices), paperwork and blood work for guinea pigs (new T1D study), and sickness was just the start.  More on the “mundane” later. 

If you knew my “popular” social life and status in high school, you should be getting a giant belly laugh now.  Last Saturday, I found out from 2 other soccer moms that my daughter had been nominated for Sophomore Homecoming Duchess.  Um, what??  My eldest child’s reply, “If I don’t think about it, it’ll go away, right?  I have soccer to worry about first.  I was just nominated.”  Okay.  Monday, any news?  Nope.  Tuesday, the school had the final vote, but they are going to make it a surprise.  Me, “How does that work?”  Syd, “I don’t know!!!!”  It doesn’t’ make sense to either of us, so we brush it off.  Like I don’t have other things to worry about!  March forward on to Wednesday, I am sick.  Nose, head, body, ugh.  Tristan and Chy get blood work done, TJ has football game, piano, practices . . . life goes on.  I don’t even go to TJ’s game since I can’t breathe or even keep my eyes open.  Thursday, I am still sick, and Chy comes home from school in morning sick.  We are running on empty.  Tim is working extended weeks.  Dark, sunken eyes are just part of the “in” look at our house.  Looking forward to Friday, right? 

Thursday, at 2:00 pm, my cell rings at work! Perky, cute voice, “Your daughter just won Hillcrest High Homecoming Duchess!”  Huh?? What does that mean on Thursday afternoon?  “This is going to be a surprise, so we need you to bring her formal or ‘church’ dress to school so she can change into it before the parade at 1:30.  We are going announce the winners at 12:00 assembly!  You also need send a bio to this email tonight so we can have it tomorrow. Then she needs to be at the Friday night football game by 7:00 in her formal.”  Formal?  She just started wearing skirts again!  Like we have a formal hanging in the closet!  WT%#@??? Argh! Well keeping it a secret wasn’t hard, because she was playing both JV soccer and Varsity games.  I watched the games with her friends who didn’t know either. Timmy got the privilege of writing the bio—Sydney “Sunshine.”  Syd and I didn’t get home until 9:30.  If I don’t think about it, it will go away, right?

Friday morning, Chy still sick and sleeping when we all leave in the morning.  Hmm, winging it . . . I decide I better take the whole afternoon off, so I ask when I get to work.  What a planner I am!  Luckily, I can.  At 11:30, I run home throw Syd’s one (not joking!) dress that is slightly too big, black shoes, brush, and make-up in bag.  Check on Chy, and I am off to the high school!  Tim meets me, and we watch my daughter get crowned.  Wow!  This is sooo out of my comfort, experience zone!  Just smile and wave, boys.  But she is just so . . . well . . .awesome!

hhsgymduchess2012

Next step, get her in the dress and to the parade!  Wait, we need a safety pin. (I had forgotten this slightly too big detail.) Good thing she has one in her backpack.  She is  . . . awesome.  Once again, I don’t think the doctors had time to switch her, but maybe I should request a DNA test.

hhsparade2012

Tim and I stood as she drove passed with the Duke and the rest of the royalty.  We caught some candy thrown our direction, and we tried to recharge.  I picked her up after the parade, rushed home to change again, and raced off to find a formal for the night’s festivities.  After several dressing room failures, she found one she liked at a great price.  Success, by 4:30!  Shoes, spanxs, strapless bra at Kohl’s (love the 30% off coupon)—dropped off by 5:05 for hair and makeup by friends.  Whew.   Breathe.  What, everybody else expects food???  Demanding!  My sweetheart orders Pizza Hut! AND he does a great graffiti job on lawns.  I didn’t know he had such legible writing.

HK (Hillcrest Knights) Duchesslawn4

After a little miscommunication, Syd texts us at 6:45 that she is ready for pick-up.  Tim gets her, and I have never seen that child change clothes so fast.  “Hurry up, Mom.  We have to be there by 7:15!  We don’t have time for pictures!”  Is she really talking to me?  No picture?  I don’t think so!

Syd aka Duchess 2012duchess2sydandtimduchess

Chy (waiting for big sis)IMG_3412

Of course, Syd was the first of the female royalty to arrive.  Now, we just wait until half time.  While Tim, Heather (my moral support), and I waited, Syd chatted with friends.  Occasionally, she would actually ASK me to take a picture with her friends. 

hhsduchessfield2012hhsdaddydaughter2012

And then it was over!  My Syd reappeared in her soccer hoodie and holey jeans!  She still had the sash and crown, but at least I could recognize her!

Saturday morning, my sickness overtook me again.  Tim took TJ and Chy to get hooked back up to their CGM sensors for a second round of the study.  They are robotic pincushions again.  Chy had an extremely high reading so it took much longer than expected, so they didn’t get home until lunchtime.  Later, Heather came over and made my family roast and mashed potatoes—yum!  What an adventure! 

Like I said, I didn’t make it to the football game, but I do have new soccer pics for week!

GO DRAGONSchykiki3chyoneononedragonhuddle2

AND

GO Lady  (JV and Varsity)briggs crop2gamevarsity

So ends my personal little drama of the week. We did have to take Chy back in to the endocrinologist today.  One sensor already failed, and it had to be removed.  Next on T1D docket, Saturday Tristan’s and Chy’s remaining sensors will be taken out.  DNA tests pend on TJ and CHY too.  I don’t know how I got these smart, talented, “popular”, brave, athletic kids.  BUT I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about my crazy, chaotic life.