Teton Tinkerin'

Teton Tinkerin'

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Burdens and Blessings

Behind every photo, practice, game, hike, meal, or snack, there is a number—blood glucose (BG), carb count, and/or insulin unit.  “What’s your number?”  It’s a phrase in my house that usually gets me a dirty look, an eye roll, or noncommittal grumbling.  I am the Blood Sugar Police and Carb Control Officer.  It is a never-ending, painful, thankless job that usually just causes me tears and frustration.  I get tired of being the bad guy, the mean mom.  Some days, I am just not good at it.  I want to quit, and they want to quit.  Yet, this disease doesn’t quit when we do.  It just slowly destroys their bodies.  Long-term complications do not mean much to a young adult/teen.  I don’t fully grasp them all, and it is overwhelming for me.  But I can’t quit, no matter how exhausted, frustrated, terrified, or fearful I am.  So I ask again, “What’s your number?  Did you bolus?  Can I see your meter?” 

Now on to blessings.

We have a birthday boy!  14!

IMG_3578IMG_3596

Thursday, we “birthday” shopped.  In order to get a computer, Tristan has been saving his money from picking raspberries, miscellaneous jobs, and CGMs test studies.  He/we have been researching computers for several months.  With birthday money from us and his savings in hand, he finally made a decision and a purchase, a 17 in. super cool laptop.  Proud of my boy, ahem, excuse me, young man!  Friday, Tristan had a few friends over for video games and pizza!  If you were ever wondering, four 14-year-old boys can be gigglier than girls.  There is no where to hide. 

Saturday,we (minus Syd) hiked to Lower Palisades lake.  Absolutely, beautiful.  The crisp fall air, blue sky, and amazing color.  Wonderful day!

carpetofleaveshangingatthelakeleaves2012tjpalisades2012smilesugmomchy 

Since our weekdays are so busy, we had our family birthday celebration today.  Dinner and presents from his sisters finished Tristan’s birthday weekend.  And his birthday isn’t even until tomorrow!  

I’ll end with a thought from my favorite picture of our hike. 

Don’t forget to take time to chase the squirrels!  IMG_3572

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about my crazy, chaotic life.