Tristan came with Tim to the hospital. Syd was going to drive a separate car to the hospital, but Tim forgot to leave her the Pilot key. Syd was not happy. We both were a little sleep drunk!
Lesson #5—Patience is a virtue (AND I don’t have an ounce of it!)
Chy was not eating, so the doctor was cautious about a Sunday release. Her blood sugars kept rising, and her potassium levels were not stable. I just wanted to give her insulin!!! I am not a patient person. I realize now that there are complications with a rapid drop in blood glucose as well a rapid shift in electrolytes. (Knowledge can be scarier, than ignorance.)
Lesson #6—Even though they fight like cats and dogs, brothers and sisters love each other.
In the afternoon, I need a break from the hospital. So I took Tristan home, while Tim stayed with the tired, sleepy girl. Syd was waiting at the door to go to the hospital. She hadn’t seen Chy since we left the night before, and she was very worried. However, I wanted/needed a shower. Syd anxiously waited for me, so we could take both cars back.
Clean, but not refreshed, I went back to hospital. Syd was great with Chy. She sat and made friendship bracelets with thread that the hospital staff gave Chy. What a big sis!
By late afternoon, Chy had eaten some instant Kraft macaroni and cheese, and she was starting to get hungry. This was a good sign. Her blood sugars were still high, but her blood work was looking better. Nothing to do but wait. We were all drained.
Lesson #7—Hospital food is not appetizing!
By six, Chy’s dinner came. Although she was hungry, the food was a little nasty. Ug. So she had more macaroni and cheese. Sounds like Chy! The hospital cafeteria closed at 2 on Sunday, so we lucked out. While Tristan and I split a “delicious” burger and greasy tots for lunch down there, we had to go find somewhere different for supper. Darn, haha! Tim went home with Syd to get dinner and bring back my overnight stuff. They stopped at Taco Bell, but he brought me a Rumbi salad!
Within minutes of Tim getting back to hospital (around 7:30ish), the doctor called the room. Since she was eating and her blood work improved, he thought we could go home after the nurses monitored her for another hour! I have never been so excited!!!
Lesson #8—Enjoy the moment; life can change in an instant!
We made it home around 10pm, Sunday night. Emotional, physically spent, Chy and I stayed home Monday. I think that even a week later, we have not totally recovered. Friday, Chy saw the doctor again. She had gained 7 lbs. back, but she is still 2 lbs. under her weight a month ago. Dr. Liljnequist changed some of her pump settings and gave her a quick exam. He told her, “This disease is hard, and you are doing great.” I think she needed that. We have been diligent with the bolusing, and I have been physically monitoring her meter much more. And of course, the arguments and attitude of a pre-teen have increased. But I never, never, want to go through that again. We still have highs; we just fix them faster. I really dislike this #@#%! disease!
Well, I am going to remember the lessons, but put this behind us. It is simply too scary for me to dwell in the fear.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think about my crazy, chaotic life.